What Were the Most Emotionally Resonant Ads in 2017?
This year's FeelMore50 survey reveals the top 50 ads that connected with consumers.
System 1 (formerly Brainjuicer), a behavioural marketing and research company, has released the results of a survey into which commercials were the most emotionally engaging across 2017.
The fifth annual survey revealed the 50 most emotionally engaging ads and, for the first time, the UK tops the list, with Japan and the US coming second and third respectively.
"Movies and boxsets have it easy, brands have a miniscule window of opportunity to positively impact a consumer and capture attention. Making a consumer feel something is a marketers dream."
The survey was conducted by showing 705 award-winning or virally successful TV ads and digital films to a sample of 80 consumers and speaking to a total of 56,400 people. The FeelMore50 list is, says System 1, the world’s most comprehensive analysis of brand advertising and consumer emotional response.
Key take-aways from the research were that brands are now connecting with consumers across multiple platforms, with seven of the top 10 spots being digital films. Of those seven films the average length was two-minutes, showing cosumer willingness to engage if the message is relatable.
"In what can feel an ever-divided country and chaotic world, brands have a unique opportunity to provide unity, continuity and connection to consumers," says System 1 MD, Rod Connors. "Movies and boxsets have it easy, brands have a miniscule window of opportunity to positively impact a consumer and capture attention. Making a consumer feel something is a marketers dream."
The FeelMore50's Top 10 Most Emotionally Engaging Global Ads
1. Belvita Next Stop: Good Mornings (Agency: Gravity Road, UK)
2. YKK Zipper & Bears (ADK Asatsu DK, Japan)
3. Jameson Whiskey The Long Lost Barrel (EVB, US)
4. Netto Marken Discount Die Oster-Uberraschung #DerWahreOsterhase (Jung von Matt, Germany)
5. President's Choice Eat Together (john st, Canada)
6. Coldwell Banker Somebody to Love (Siltanen & Partners, US)
7. Monoprix Lait Drole La Vie (Rosapark, France)
8. Nespresso Comin' Home (McCann, US)
9. Kia Hero's Journey (David & Goliath, US)
10. McDonald's McLanche Feliz (DPZ&T, Brazil)
The FeelMore50's Top 10 Most Emotionally Engaging UK Ads
1. Belvita Next Stop: Good Mornings (Gravity Road)
2. Toys 'R' Us Geoffrey the Part Time Reindeer (The Corner)
3. AA Singing Baby (adam&eveDDB)
4. BBC One Christmas Together (BBC Creative)
5. Tesco Theresa's Story (BBH)
6. Heathrow It's a Wonderful Flight (Havas)
7. Very.co.uk Anna and the Wolf (St. Luke’s)
8. Marks & Spencer Paddington & The Christmas Visitor (Grey)
9. Orbana Good Energy (The White Label)
10. Amazon Give (Lucky Generals)
For a full list of the 50 ads that emotionally connected with consumers and a breakdown of the list by region and sector, visit the FeelMore50 website.